Model Questions For O L
The activities published here are based on the O/L new syllabus.
A model English Paper Discussion for OL
Read the following dialogue and complete the blanks.
Nimal: I visited my grandparents in Kandy.
Ajith : When did you come back?
Nimal: Yesterday night.
Did the English teacher give any homework?
Ajith: She gave an assignment .
You can take my book and write it down.
Nimal: Thank you.
👉👉👉👉 For answers
👨👨👨
Activity 7: Complete the following text by underlining the
correct preposition given within brackets. The
first one is done for you.
Shop Assistant: Can I help you sir?
Activity:10 Rewrite what the following indirect sentences in the direct speech.
Sahan said that his father had been in hospital two days before.
e.g.
Imagine you are the secretary of the college Health Society. The Health Society has decided to conduct a guest speech on 'the value of eating home made food'. Write a suitable notice to be put up on the college notice board. Request all the members of the Heath Society to participate in it.
Imagine you are Supun and you forgot your pocket dictionary on a visit to your friend Ranuka's home last Sunday. Write a note to be sent to Ranuka with a friend requesting Ranuka to bring it to school the next day. Mention where you left it.
Jagath has a large garden. One evening , he was watching the birds in a corner of the garden. Suddenly a large flying object landed in his garden. ……………..
Casuarina beach lies at the northern end of the Karainagar causeway; a three kilometer stretch of paved road.
DESCRIPTION
QUALITY:
Activity 19:
have you ever read about bees well bees live in a house called a hive there are three kinds of bees workers drones and queens only one queen can live in each hive if she is lost or dead the other bees will stop their work bees are very wise and intelligent creatures.
Activity 21: Fill in the blanks. Use should / must appropriately.
1. I was very tired and hungry ……… I sat down under a tree.
Activity 23: Underline the correct verb form.
A: Why didn't you 1)_______Geshani's B'day party?
👉👉👉 for answers visit
Activity 24:
Write an e-mail to one of your friends requesting him / her to bring the English Grammar note book to your science class. Mention that you will bring it back to school.
Activity 25: Underline correct word with the apostrophe.
1. My [sister's / sisters'] room was painted last month. They thanked father for painting it.
2. I had a wonderful time when I was at the [ teachers' / teacher's ] college at Bolawalana.
3. I visited my [grandparent's / grandparents'] home with father last Sunday. They were very happy to see us after a long time.
4. It is a [ladies' / lady's] collapsible umbrella. I bought it for my elder sister.
5. Oliver Twist is a [ children's / childrens'] novel written by Charles Dickens.
Television is the (1) _____of a national debate of most of the countries. People mostly talk about its effect on young people of seeing violence and sex. According to some (2) ______ conducted by some organizations , the number of complaints about television shows has (3) ________from 2000 to 4000 in just one year. There could be many (4) ________ for this dramatic (5)_______ in complaints. Most violent images are often shown during early evening, when children are not yet in bed. [ the statistics given in this paragraph is not true]
1. A- issue B- subject C-question
2. A- account B- commentary C- research
3. A- doubled B- shot up C-grown
4. A- matters B- problems C- reasons
5. A- decrease B- increase C- scene
😍😍
The above 👆 module contains all types of test activities for Question - 6 of the OL English paper. It can easily be used as a handbook for classroom teaching or as a self-study guide.
[ do - we - soon - close - believe - wind - and - to - made - sea - the - men - got - strong ]
One morning, when there was heavy rain so that we could not see well, one of the 1) _____ saw a rock very 2) ___ to the ship. The 3) ____ was so strong that 4)___ were driven on it, 5)____ a great hole was 6) ____in the bottom of 7) _____ ship. Six of us 8) ____ a boat into the 9)____. But we were not 10) ____ enough, and the wind 11) _____ turned it over. I 12)____ not know what happened 13) ____ the others, but I 14) _____ that they must all have been lost. I was carried by the wind and water. I do not know which way I went - or how far.
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
cloze passage
Activity 28: Fill in the blanks with neither ...nor / either....or.
1. Nisha must be …..in the library…. in the canteen. Most probably she must be in the library.
2. Gayan eats…….fish …..any meat. He is a vegetarian.
3. Sampath …….watches cartoons …..any films. He hates both.
4. My uncle will return from USA ….tomorrow …… the day after. According to my mom, he will return tomorrow morning.
5. …..Saman ......Sajendra attended Wayani's dinner party as both of them were away in Colombo.
Activity 29:
Pick up suitable phrasal verbs from the list given within brackets to complete the following sentences. There is one extra.
[ put up / look for / come round / look down upon / look up / give up ]
1. Doctors advised me to ............. smoking as it could cause serious harm to my lungs.
2. If you follow the medical advice, you will ...............soon.
3. I lost my dictionary, so I wrote a notice to be .............. on the college notice board.
4. My English teacher gave me 10 words and told me to ................. their meanings in the dictionary.
5. I hate people who ................others. It is a bad habit.
Activity 30:
Fill in the blanks of the following text with the words given below.
[ of / that / be / possessions / not / remember / consist / teller / a / business / an / should / access / knowing ]
Passwords are commonly used today to restrict access to personal 1) ____ or privileged information. Passwords 2) _____ of a unique sequence 3) ___ letters, numbers and symbols. 4) ____ password is used to 5) _____ personal banking information, automated 6) ____ machines, secure buildings and 7) _____, computer networks etc. It 8) _____ be something unusual enough 9) ___ the wrong person could 10) ____ decipher it just by 11) _____ you. When you think of 12) ______ appropriate password it should 13) ___ something you can easily 14) ______ but something impossible for anyone else to guess.
Activity 31:
Underline the most suitable word for the blank.
1) The girls are sweeping the class because it is .......... ( clean / dirty) .
2) Turn on the fan please. It is very ............ (cold / hot) in here.
3) Sarath has to repeat the exam because he is ........... (weak /clever) in English.
4) Martin Wickramasinge is loved by all the Sri Lankans. He is a ............ (unpopular / popular ) writer.
5) Mr. Hewage cannot send his children to school because of economic.............. (questions / problems).
Write questions in order to get the underlined words as the answers.
1. Mr.Sajendra migrated to Australia.
Who.............................................?
2. Nuran is absent because his grandmother is in hospital.
Why ...........................................?
3. Chalani kept the letter on the table.
Where........................................?
4. The match started at 8 a.m.
When ..........................................?
5. Mr. Nimal is Kamani's maternal uncle.
Whose ........................................?
Activity 33:
Write an e-mail to one of your friends inviting him / her to go on a picnic. Include: the place , date , time and things to bring. Use around 50 words. Use the following format.
To: ................................
Subject : .......................
...........................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................
.....................
👉👉👉 The Answers for the questions
Activity 34:
The following paragraph was written by a student on his /her routine. Rewrite the paragraph about one of your friends. Don not change the details given in the paragraph.
I am an early riser. I usually get up at 4 a.m. First I brush teeth and drink a glass of milk. Then I read till 5.30 a.m. After that I get ready to go to school. I usually do not take my breakfast at home. I leave home to school around 6 a.m.
begin like this.
My friend .....................
Activity 35:
Write the correct form of the verbs given within brackets.
Nuwan visited Ajith's home to 1)..............(borrow) a book last Sunday. Their gate 2)............... (lock). So he 3)................(tap) on the gate. Then Ajith's grandmother 4).............(come) out and 5).............. (open) the gate. She told Nuwan , "Ajith 6)............ (be) not at home. He 7)............(be) back soon." She wanted to 8) ............... (know) if Nuwan 9)............. (have) any message for him. Nuwan said that he 10) ................ (come) back in the evening.
Activity 36:
Nuwan: Can I borrow your English note book?
Sahan : I haven't brought it.
Nuwan : I will come your home tomorrow.
Sahan : Do not come tomorrow.
Nuwan: Will you bring the book to school?
Sahan : I'm not coming to school tomorrow.
1) Nuwan asked if .....................Sahan's English note book.
2) Sahan said that he ..............................it.
3) Nuwan said that ......................Sahan's home the following day.
4) Sahan told Nuwan ......................... the following day.
5) Nuwan asked .....................the book to school.
6) Sahan said that ....................to school the following day.
Read Paragraph A and complete the blanks of Paragraph B in the passive voice.
A
The sports club of Ranpokunagama Maha Vidyalaya organized a Shramadana Campaign to clean the school playground. They held it last Monday. The Prefects' Guild also helped them. The students started the campaign at 9 p.m. The Club had informed the members to bring the necessary tools. First, they collected the polythene. They could collect a large amount of polythene within a short time. While one group was cleaning the playground another small group painted the sports room. The Prefects Guild treated the students with a cup of tea. They completed the work by 1 p.m. The teacher in charge sports thanked all the students.
B
A Shramadana Campaign 1) .............. by the sports club of Ranpokunagama Vidyalaya to clean the school playground. It 2) .............. last Monday. They 3).......... also......... by the Prefects' Guild. The campaign 4) .............. at 9 p.m. The members 5) ............ to bring the necessary tools. First, the polythene 6) ............... . A large amount of polythene 7) ............ within a short time. While the playground 8) ............. by one group the sports room 9) ............ by another group. The students 10) .............by the Prefects' Guild with a cup of tea. The work 11) ...............completed by 1 p.m. All the students 12) ............. by the teacher in charge sports.
Activity: 38
Write the following sentences in direct speech in indirect speech.
Mrs. Kusalani gave the following instructions to her students in grade 11 B.
Mrs. Kusalani
1. "Bring your national identity cards tomorrow".
2. "Don't forget to bring a file."
3. "Come with your parents tomorrow."
4. "Don't bring polythene to class."
5. "Clean the class everyday".
6. "Don't disturb other classes."
e.g.
Mrs. Kusalani told the students to bring their national identity cards the next day.
1. ...................................
2. ..................................
Activity:39
Imagine a friend of yours has won the all island English essay competition. Write a short letter of congratulation to him / her.
Include: how you got the news. Use around 60 words.
Activity:40 Read the following paragraph and answer the questions.
One day a poor farmer was going on a journey. He walked a long distance and was tired and hungry. He sat under a large shady tree to eat his meal. It contained rice and vegetables. There was a stall run by a woman to sell fried fish close to the tree. After the traveller had finished eating the woman came to him and asked him for some money for the fried fish. The traveller being surprised said that he did not buy any fried fish from her. Then the woman said that he had enjoyed his meal because of the appetizing smell of the fried fish. The two got into a heated argument. Meanwhile an old man passing by overheard their arguments and wanted to help them. He took some coins from the traveller. He tossed the coins and made the woman hear the sound of the coins falling on the ground. Then he said that that was the payment for the smell of the fried fish.
1) Why did the farmer sit under the tree?
2) Did the farmer eat fried fish?
3) When did the woman ask for money?
4) How did the old man make the payment for the fried fish?
5) What are the following words underlined in the text refer to?
a) it -
b) he -
Activity: 41 Fill in the blanks with it / it's / its .
I have a pet dog. 1)............. an Alsatian puppy. 2)............... tail and ears are very beautiful. 3)........... about 6 months old now. As 4).............. a puppy , 5)............. very playful. We named 6)............. Dinky. 7)............. likes to eat bones and drink milk. 8)............... black and brown. 9)............. likes to sleep under my bed. 10)............a very playful dog.
Kindness to Animals
Little children never give
Pain to things that feel and live
Never hurt the timid hare
Peeping from her green grass lair
Let her come and sport and play
On the lawn at close of day,
The little lark goes soaring high
To the bright windows of the sky,
singing as if it were always spring
And fluttering on an untired wing
Oh! let him sing happy song
Nor do these gentle creations wrong.
1) Why does the hair come out of the lair?
2) What is a lark?
3) What does the lark do while flying in the sky?
4) Do little children hurt these animals and birds?
5) When does the hare come out to play?
The above 👆 module contains all types of test activities for Question - 6 of the OL English paper. It can easily be used as a handbook for classroom teaching or as a self-study guide.
1) __earth goes round___sun and ___moon goes round ___earth.
2) There is ___flight to London three times ____ week.
3) Our teacher gave us ___ example to prove the fact but, ___ example was complicated.
4) ___air we breathe in is polluted these days.
5) Please! don't make any noise. ___baby is sleeping.
Activity: 44 Use the following details and write a short paragraph about Nayani Perera.
Name: Nayani Perera
Address: No: 6 , Main St, Veyangoda.
Family: Father - a teacher, Mother- a housewife
two brothers
School: St. Mary's College, Veyangoda
Class : grade 11 A
Features: tall , short hair , fair
Hobby: reading books
Other: good at music.
Begin like this,
Nayani Perera ........
Activity: 45
Reading the following extract. The underlined words in the extract are wrong. Rewrite them correctly in the spaces provided. (S/S 2012)
Accident
I was driving along the West Road at a reasonable speed when a pedestrian walking 1) in [ ]the pavement suddenly 2) run[____]across the road in front me. I slammed on my brakes as hard as I 3) can[____] , but I had to swerve to 4) avoided[____] the pedestrian. I crashed into 5)the[____] car which was 6)park[____] by the side of the road.
Fortunately, the pedestrian 7) isn't[_____] injured, but I had a bad cut 8)to[___] my face when my head 9) hitted[____]the windscreen. I had 10) forget[___] to put on my seat belt. .......
Activity: 46
👉👉👉
Read the following dictionary page and do the activity that follows.
2) Most children ..............about their load of heavy homework.
3) Look! That dog is ..............at something in the bush.
4) The security officer talked to the children in a .........voice.
5) A synonym for 'increasing' is ...............
Read the following news report and do the activity.
BUS TRAGEDY DEATH TOLL
NOW 11
Eleven people have died so far in the fatal accident which occurred on Sunday in which a hired a vehicle carrying 38 holiday makers from Veyangoda went down a 200m precipice near Ramboda while negotiating a bend on the slippery road. Police are combing the accident site for the body of a 12 year old boy and six others. Twenty are reported to be seriously injured and the police are still trying to identify the bodies with the help of the relatives. The injured have been admitted to Kandy and other near by hospitals. All the passengers are reported to be from Veyangoda. The people in the area are helping the police to carry out the search operations and in dispatching the injured to hospital.
1. According to the report
a) 38 people have died b) 11 people have died
c) 18 people have died.
2. They were going on
a) a pleasure trip b) a pilgrimage
c) an excursion
3. The accident has taken place
a) near a bend b) near a hospital
b) near Veyangoda
4. The police are trying to find out
a) the bodies of six people b) the bodies of seven people
b) the bodies of twelve people
5. The injured have been admitted
a) only to Kandy hospital b)to Kandy and Gampola hospitals
b) to Kandy and other hospitals in the area.
Sajendra Kumara Video Channel
Rewrite the following paragraph about Ruchith.
I am in Grade 11. I study at Negombo South International School. I go to school with my father. I usually get up at 4 a.m. Then I read till 5 a.m. I sometimes help my mother in the kitchen. I do not take my breakfast at home. I enjoy my life as a student.
Begin like this,
Ruchith is ....................
Activity 50:
Complete the passage by filling in the missing words given within brackets.
[ dessert - unripe - medicinal - suffer - delicious - realize - fruit - digestion ]
The papaw tree grows well in tropical countries. The papaw is a very a) ............ and nutritious fruit. The papaw b)............ is aten as a c) ...............after meals. It makes the d) ...........of food easy. It also has a e) .............value.Today, most of us do not seem to f) ........ this. Boiled g) ......... papaw can be given to children who h)......... from worm troubles.
Read the following dialogue and write a paragraph about Kulith's class teacher.
Ruchith: I would like to know about your class teacher.
Kulith : Mrs. Damayanthi.
Ruchith : What does she teach you?
Kulith : Science
Ruchith : Where is she from?
Kulith : From Attanagalla
Ruchith : How does she come to school?
Kulith : By car.
Ruchith : How does she look like?
Kulith : She is tall and slim. She also wears glasses. She wears her hair in a knot.
Ruchith : Do children like her?
Kulith : Yes. She is like a mother and teaches very well.
Begin like this,
Mrs. Damayanthi is Kulith's class teacher. ...............
Activity 52:
Fill in the blanks with the missing verbs given within brackets.
MOTHER THERESA
Mother Theresa was 1)___ in Yogoslavia. Her maiden name was Agnes Gonxha. She 2) ____ the name Theresa in 1935 in Calcutta. She 3) ___ to Calcutta and 4) ____ as a Geography teacher for about 20 years at a convent. Then she 5) ___ helping the poor and the sick who 6) ___ in the slums. She 7) ____ the lepers and 8) ____ them medicine. She 9)____ many of them. She 10) ___ a number of countries and opened charity centres. Many honours were conferred on her for her dedicated service. India honoured her with "Padma Shri" and "Bharat Ratna".
[ cured - started - born - lived - visited - served - took - helped - came - gave ]
1) If I followed your advice, I would lose my....[happiness / happy /happily]
2) Nayani is the ........[pretty / prettier / prettiest] child in our class.
3) In the ancient society frugality was a quality that was highly..... [ valued / valuable / value]
4) The minister refused the ............[ invite / invitation / invited ]
5) .........is a bond between two living beings. [friend / friendship / friendly]
6) In some countries Corona patients die without ..... [ treat / treated / treatments ]
Model Error correction activity for OL
Activity 54:
Rewrite the following paragraph replacing the underlined words with suitable opposite words.
Ramani is an old woman. She has short hair. She is a very ugly woman. Ramani is fat and short. She is usually a sad woman. She is the worst woman in our neighbourhood. Nobody says that she is cruel.
Activity 55:
Write the correct number.
A
a) a greeting - [ ]
b) agreeing - [ ]
c) expressing surprise- [ ]
d)disagreeing - [ ]
e)expressing sorrow- [ ]
B
1. Yes. I think so.
2. I was deeply shocked to hear it.
3. Marvelous!
4. No. I don't think so.
5. Good evening!
Activity 56:
Complete the following dialogue. The missing utterances are given below.
Ram: Shall we go out? 1) .................... .
Nuran: Yes. Let's go to the canteen.
Ram : 2) .................. We can eat them and have a cup of tea.
Nuran: 3) ....................... . So didn't prepare me anything.
Ram: 4) ..................................
Nuran: Pancake , sandwiches and even fried rice.
Ram : Pancake! I like them. Then you can bring some tomorrow.
Nuran: OK. 5) ................... . Let's go now.
A: What does she usually prepare for you?
B: I'm tired of sitting here
C : I'll tell mum.
D : I've brought some sandwiches.
E : My mother is not well
Write the correct form of the verbs given within brackets.
There was not much happening in this sleepy little town, till Tom and I 1) ................. (discover) twelve thousand dollars in gold 2) .............(hide) by robbers in a cave. Old Judge Thatcher 3)...........(decide) that it should be 4)..........(give) to us as a reward. So Tom and I 5).............(become) real rich with six thousand dollars for each of us. The judge 6).............(put) it in the bank for us. That 7)......... (be) so much money, we 8)............ (not know) what to 9).............(do) with it. Anyway I 10)......... (be) not happy being rich.
***
1) Mahesh did not come to class as ............... [not well]
2) I did not eat the mango as ..................... [sour ]
3) We like butterflies because........................ [beautiful]
4) I watch cartoons because ......................... [interesting]
5) I can't buy this shirt as ................................[ not money ]
👉Watch the above video for more information on Homophones.
Activity 59:
underline the correct words.
1) My mother goes to the ( fare / fair ) every Tuesday.
2) Our (principal / principle) decided to cancel the trip.
3) I paid the electricity bill with a ( cheque / check ).
4) My sister has long wavy (hare / hair ).
5) Manel went (there / their) with her son.
Activity 60:
There is a mistake in each of the sentences from a-e. Underline the mistakes and rewrite correctly.
Sarath is my best friend.
a) Sarath live at Veyangoda with .........
b) he parents. He is 15 years old. ........
c) Sarath is the young child in the family. ........
d) His parents works at our school. ........
e) Sarath is good in music. ........
I like him very much.
Activity 61:
Complete the following dialogue with the words given below.
[ home - notes - headache - medicine - class - hours ]
ANOMA: I've got a bad 1).........................
I am not going to 2)................ today.
SAMITH: Didn't you take any 3)................. ?
ANOMA: No. It'll be O.K. in a few 4)................. .
SAMITH: Well, then you stay at 5).............. and rest.
I'll take down your 6)................
ANOMA: Thank you so much Samith.
SAMITH: It's a pleasure.
Picture reading Activity for OL
Activity 62: Complete the blanks with words beginning with the letter given.
<script async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-8948949886937310"
crossorigin="anonymous"></script><script async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-8948949886937310"
crossorigin="anonymous"></script><script async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-8948949886937310"
crossorigin="anonymous"></script>[ pointing - basket - boy - marketplace - stall - sunny - walking - bananas - apples - hat ]
This is a scene of a busy (1) _______________ on a bright and (2)
_______________ morning. A woman wearing a large (3) _______________ is
standing behind a wooden (4) _______________. She is selling many types
of fresh fruit. We can see piles of red (5) _______________ and combs of
(6) __________ neatly arranged for the customers. A young (7)
_______________ is standing in front of her stall. He is carrying a small (8)
_______________ and is (9) _______________ at the fruits he wants to
buy. There are many other shoppers (10)
________________around the marketplace.
*marketplace/sunny/hat/stall/apples/bananas/boy/basket/pointing/walking
Activity 140
Nimal woke up early (1) ______ the morning to prepare for his big exam. He had been studying hard (2) _______ months because he wanted to get into a good university. He walked (3) ______ the exam hall (4) _____ exactly 8:00 AM. As he sat down, he took his favorite pen (5) _______ his pencil case. He looked (6) _______ the question paper and smiled, as he was familiar (7) _______ most of the topics. He wrote his answers (8) _______ great care. He finished the paper well (9) _______ the deadline and handed it (10) _____ the supervisor proudly.
*in / for / into / at / from/ at /with/with/before/to
👨
Model OL Essays , Model Paragraphs and OL Past Papers with Marking schemes are also available on this blog page. Take a few minutes and search for them here.
Sajendra Kumara
👦
Contact Sajendra for materials - 0777597875
An Activity book is available. The activities have been tested with students.
More Activities - stepstobrilliance.blogspot.com




























































































































23 comments:
some good activities
great work keep it up
where is these answers
please write the answers seperatly
thanks
please add some more activities
Call me if you are interested in buying my activities. All the activities I have prepared have been tested with my students.
Well done sir!. So, how much is an activity book? I need to buy a lot.
call me on 0777597875
How much is it
Rs.500 . If you buy a bulk you can discuss the price of a copy with me.
can i pay for a book and courier charges via easycash or credit card?
Just send me your address. First call me. I will you send you the book by speed post.
sure. Keep in touch. I will do it as and when I find time time. The answer are available on a separate page: The key to model questions.
Answers are available now on a separate page: The key to model activities
How can we buy it?
call me on 0777597875. By post.
Good 🎓
Thankyou very much sir!
Welcome.
Sure
Sir can i buy the two books that you had published for GCE O/L students with 100 activities
If you want to buy the books, simply leave me a message on WhatsApp ; 0777597875
Thank you very much sir. I highly appreciate your great effort.
Post a Comment