Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2023

INFORMAL and FORMAL LETTERS FOR OL


  1)  Test 14: (OL 2008)

Write a letter to your uncle who is in India about an educational trip you went recently. Use about 150 words. 

Include
When and where you went
With whom you went
What you saw
Any interesting experience

No:7 
Main St,
Veyangoda,
Sri Lanka.
02/11/20....

Dear Uncle,
How are you getting on? We are keeping well. How is aunty? Thank you for the picture post cards. I like the one which has a picture of Taj Mahal. 
By the way, uncle we went on an educational trip to Anuradhapura last week. All the Grade 11 students of our school participated in it. We went on the trip with our class teachers. 
We left school from three buses at about 6 in the morning. We had our breakfast at Kurunegala. We could reach Anuradhapura by 10 a.m.
First we visited the sacred Jaya Srimaha Bodhi. Our history teacher explained us everything. Then we visited the ancient places like the Ruwanweli Seya, the Samadhi statue, the Abayagiriya etc. 
We had our lunch near the Basawakkulama wewa.I felt very proud of my forefathers when I saw the huge tank. Some of us went on a boat ride. It was an interesting experience.
Uncle we visited the Mihinthalaya,too. It was my first visit. 
Well, I think this is enough for now. I will write you more later. Please convey my best regards to aunty. I am looking forward to reading from you soon. 
May the Triple Gems Bless you!

Your loving son
Nikesh
(Nikesh Sandakelum)





Way to win:  Describing a table
(Access ලබාදීමට යම් කාලයක් ගතවනු ඇත )
Dear students and friends ,
If you have an urgent need to download the materials published here simply leave me a message on whatsApp . 👉0777597875
ඔබට ඉතා ඉක්මනින්ම මෙහි ඇති materials භාගත කිරීමට පහත අන්කයට whatsApp message එකක් යොමු කරන්න .
0777597875
Sajendra Kumara 

2) ACTIVITY:
Write a letter to one of your friends describing an extra curricular activity you participated at school recently. Use around 100 words.

No: 89
Main St,
Ruwanpura.
06/03/20.....

Dear Gayan,
How are you getting on? Hope you are keeping well. Sorry for my delay in replying your last letter. I was quite busy with my term test. 
By the way, Gayan , there was a Shramadana campaign to clean the local hospital last Sunday. You know, my friend , I am the secretary of the Social Services Association of our school. So I had a big role to play in organizing the activity. We planned every thing very well. Our teachers and principal helped us. 
It was a very successful programme. We cleaned the wards and hospital premises. We started the campaign at 9 a.m. and continued till 2 p.m. The hospital staff also helped us. 
Well, I think this is enough for now. Convey my best regards to everyone. I'm looking forward to reading from you soon. 
Yours sincerely,
Sanath
[Sanath Kumara] 


 


💃
3) ACTIVITY: 
Imagine your class organized a visit to the Elders' Home in your area recently. Write a letter to a friend describing your visit.

No:32
Main St,
Ransalugama.
14th July 20.....

Dear Keshan,
How are you getting on? Hope you are keeping well. How was the last term test? I was the first in the class. Thank you very much for all the information you sent me for my project. I could complete it successfully thanks to your help. 
By the way, Keshan, our class teacher organized a visit to the Elders' Home at  Ransalugama last week. All the children in our class and a few parents participated in it. It was my first visit ever to an elders' home. I was shocked to see such a large number of elders there. 
Well I talked with some of them. I was very upset to hear their stories. Tears welled into my eyes to hear their stories. I helped some of them write letters to their family members. We cleaned their wards and some of our girls helped them wash their clothes.
After the lunch there was a short entertainment programme,too. We sang songs and danced. Some of the elders sang some beautiful old numbers. 
Well, Keshan, it was really an unforgettable experience. I think everyone should visit an elders' home and get that experience. I think this is enough for now. Please convey my best regards to every one at home. I am looking forward to reading from you soon.
With love
Nuwan
[Nuwan Senadeera] 



4)ACTIVITY
The contents of the Graphs book👇



Write a letter to a friend describing the college English Day. Include details such as the programme, the chief guest and your participation in it.

No: 95/6,
Sherwood,
Sangabodhimawatha, Daluwatta,
Attanagalla.
21 / 8 /2021

Dear Nuwan,
How are you getting on? Hope you are keeping well. Thank you very much for the term test papers. I will send you the term test papers of our province soon. 
By the way, Nuwan, Our college English Day was held last Monday. It was held in the college main hall. As I am the secretary of the English Association I had a big role to play. Our English teachers helped us. They trained the children for the different activities. I compered the programme with my friend Naduni
The programme started at 10 a.m. with the arrival of the chief guest who was none other than the minister of Education. There were about twenty items like short dramas, dances, speeches, recitations etc.A large number of parents, past pupils and students participated. It was really a beautiful programme. Everyone appreciated my compering. 
Well, hope this is enough for now. Please convey my best regards to every one at home. I am looking forward to reading from you soon. 
Bye for now,
your friend
Jayalath
[Jayalath Kumara]  
Way to Win: Pie Chart Model Answer👍
Write a letter to one of your friends in a foreign country describing your last birthday party. Use around 100 words. 

No: 6
Main St,
Veyangoda,
Sri Lanka.
5/9/20 /20....

Dear Nilesh,
How are you getting on? Thank you very much for your birthday card. It is really beautiful. Well, hope you are OK there? 
By the way I had a small birthday party at home last Sunday. I invited all my closest friends. They all attended the party. We missed you very much. 
The party started at 7 p.m. at my home. Mother made me a beautiful cake. Father bought me a new game player. We had a lot of fun. We sang and danced. Ajith brought his guitar. He sang some beautiful numbers. My parents also joined us. It was really a wonderful evening. 
Well, Nilesh, out of sight is not out mind. Hope this enough for now. I am looking forward to reading from you soon. 
Your friend
Sugath
[Sugath Kumara]
 

Essays book updated with 46 essays
   


   6)                                         


Informal letter: A letter written to a friend. 
7) Activity
Imagine you have a friend who is interested in bird watching. Write a letter inviting your friend to visit your home with his / her camera on a holiday. 
Include: The environment in your home garden. 
              The kinds of birds that come, time of the day etc..

Kulith Tharuna,
95/6 
'' Sherwood",
Sangabodhi Mawatha,
Daluwatta,
Attanagalla.
21 / 8 / 20....

Dear Thareen,
How are you getting on? Hope you are keeping well. How was the last term test? I am the first this time. 
By the way, Thareen , I know you are quite interested in bird watching. Once you showed me some photographs of birds you had taken on a visit to Kumana bird sanctuary. 
Well, you know Thareen our house is situated near a paddy field. We also have a fairly big garden with a lot of trees. So, many birds like parrots , storks , cuckoos etc. come to our garden every day. Sometimes, I see tourist birds, too. They mostly come in the evening. 
Thareen, you can visit our home on a holiday. If you can, come during the August holidays. You can stay at home a few days. Don't forget to bring your camera. You can capture some fine shots. 
Then, I shall pause for a moment. Don't forget to inform me if you are coming. 
Give my love to every one. Please, reply.
Yours truly,
Kulith  


8) Activity 
Informal letter: a letter to the class-teacher.
Imagine your class teacher retired recently. Write a letter to your teacher. 
  






Formal Letter OL: Requesting a price list
9) Imagine you are the college librarian and you have received a sum of 20,000 rupees for purchasing books for the library. Write a letter requesting a price list to a book shop in your area. Use around 100 words. 
Include: 
 The types of books you wish to purchase
 If the books can be delivered to school

Librarian,
Sbec. College,
Nittambuwa.
12th, Oct. 20...

Manager,
Nalanda Book Shop,
Veyangoda. 

Dear sir,
Request for a price list
I am the librarian of the Sbec. College. Our library has received a donation of 20, 000 rupees for purchasing English books. So, we have planned to purchase the following types of books. 
    1) Children's Dictionaries. 
    2) English story books
    3) Novels 
    4) OL past paper and model activity books
    5) Work Boks from grade 6 -11
If the above types of books are available please communicate us the price list as early as possible. The number of copies to be purchased will be informed after going through the price list. We also wish to know if the books can be delivered to school. Thank you. 
Yours faithfully,
S. Kumara
(Librarian) 
e-mail: skumara@gmail.com 
   👌A letter of congratulation written to a cousin. 

A letter of complaint: The problem of garbage 

A letter of complaint: reply letter

A letter of complaint: The fridge out of order
Question:
Imagine the refrigerator you bought recently is out of order. Write a letter of complaint to the manager of the Sunshine Showroom at Kadawatha. 
Include details such as
    -Its brand name
    -when you bought it / when the warranty period ends
    -the difficulties you have to face
    -request the services of a technician 
👉Reply letter: a letter of complaint



👉 to be continued
                               More to follow. Keep in touch.         
       





18 comments:

ASBS said...


Informal Letters for Class 6 are also part of Exams.

Knowledge bank said...

i got many lesson, thanks for your sharing

dunishananayakkara said...

it was very useful to me...keep doing

Unknown said...

Thanks for your sharing. I got some ideas which is very useful to me

Unknown said...

✌️✌️really good

Unknown said...

Really good for your writing exercice for o/l students

Unknown said...

They are very useful. Thank you.

Learner said...

Could you please upload some examples of formal letters such as enquiry, complaint, request, apology etc.

Learner said...

Could you please upload some examples of formal letters such as enquiry, complaint, request, apology etc.

Sajendra Kumara said...

Thanks

Unknown said...

Nice 😍🤩

Unknown said...

Thank u sir
Very nice
🙏🙏🙏🙏

Unknown said...

Sir please upload formal letter please please

Sajendra Kumara said...

Sure. I haave uploaded one. More will be uoloaded soon.

Unknown said...

Very good

Thraka said...

Good Source 👍

Sazzadul Islam said...

Really really helpful.Especially to mention the examples of different types of formal letters.

Jo bhe ho tujhe kya said...

Very bad

The Red Rose: A Short Story ( Based on a True College Incident)

  The Red Rose: A (True) Short Story   ( Based on a true incident )    Daily News: August 3, 2011      "Sir, I found this rose on my de...