Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2022

O L PAST PAPERS - WRITING ACTIVITIES


Model Answers for OL Past Paper Writing Activities. 

I believe the model answers I have published below will help both the teacher and students. 

Sajendra Kumara
Blogger , Teacher and Educational Material writer
0777597875
Test 16 (OL 2008)

Write an article to the school magazine about a book you enjoyed reading.(200 words)

-name of the book, author
-what it is about
-the most interesting character/s
-what you think about it

                    My most favourite book

I have read many books. But among them the book which stole my heart most was Madol Doowa. It is a children's novel written by the greatest Sri Lankan writer Martin Wickramasinghe. 
It is a medium size book with an attractive hand painted picture. The book has been translated into over thirty other languages. 
The story centers around two small boys who live in a typical Sri Lankan village in down south. The main character , Upali Giniwella, is from a middle class family in a village. His mother is dead. He lives with his father and step mother. He has a step brother,too. His best friend is Jinna. He is a distant relation of Upali.
The boys do not like to go to school. They often cut school and play in the thicket close to their village. Later Upali and Jinna run away from home. They live with a farmer close to the famous 'Madol Doowa', a small island located in a river.
The boys enjoy an unlimited freedom. They enjoy their childhood at their best. The writer paints a beautiful picture of the typical Sri Lankan village in our minds. 
I like the incident where the boys play a vedda game. It is presented like a drama. 
We never feel boring to read this book. It has been written in simple language. It is a book that every Sri Lankan child should read.
                                                  
                                                  Sajendra Kumara
                                                  Grade 11-C



Note: 
This is an article written to a college magazine. So the article must contain a title and the the writer's name at the bottom. 

OL 2021 Paper πŸ‘‡
OL 2021 PAPER
WP GRADE 7 THIRD TERM 2021 πŸ‘‡
Click the link hereπŸ‘±πŸ‘‡

πŸ‘³πŸ‘³πŸ‘³
Video Presentation: Sajendra
Test 16

You are the winner of an international competition. You have been asked to select one of the following as your prize. 

A car, a house, one million rupees.   What would you choose? Explain: 

how all these are important to you

Say what you would choose

Say why you choose it. 

πŸ‘²

A web novel written by the young Sri Lankan writer Ruchi Tarin. Don't miss it. Simply click the image below. πŸ‘‡



Model Answer

I am the winner of the best kid inventor competition. It is an international competition. I have been asked to select a car, a house or one million rupees as my prize. 
I would select one million rupees as my prize. I think it would be useful to me than other prizes. 
My father has got a car. So I do not feel the need for another car. It would only make me poor. I do not have the money to maintain it, either. So when I want to go somewhere I can borrow my father`s car. 
I am the only child in my family. I have a beautiful house. So I would not like another house. If I get the house I will have to leave this beautiful house and the the village that I love very much. I love this environment very much. On the other hand they say I cannot sell the house I get for my prize. Also it is located in the city. I hate it. 
I would choose the money as my prize. There are many reasons for it. It would be more useful to me than the other two prizes. As I am a student I need money for my higher education. I have a desire to study in England. So I can use the money for my higher studies. My dream is to be an engineer. If I become an engineer I can earn and buy a new car and a house. So I would choose the one million rupees as my prize.
Sajendra Kumara

O/L 2016 ( New Syllabus) Paper -2
Test: 14
You are the secretary of the English Literary Association of your school. The members have decided to make a visit to the National Museum, Colombo. Write a letter to the Director, National Museum. Use about 100 words. 
Include: date and time of the visit
              number of the participants
              request to see the especial collection
               - e.g. old coins 
               - to get the service of a tour guide 
              ask permission: to take photographs 
                                        to have lunch in the premises. 
The model letter: πŸ‘‰
A letter requesting permission

   πŸ‘‰For more visit my blog page:πŸ‘±πŸ‘‡
        Click here. 
        Describing Graphs
OL 2016: Test 14      
                      DESCRIBING A BAR GRAPH
The following bar graph shows the leisure activities of some students of the Southern Province. Study the bar graph and write a description about it. Use the following words. Use about 100 words. 

πŸ‘‰For more graphs visit my blog pageπŸ‘‡

OL 2016 Test 16 
Writing an article
a) Write an article to your school magazine on the following topic. 
    "My ideas about different types of entertainment". 
    Include the following details:
     - different types of entertainment.
       e.g. music , theatre 
     - how they differ from each other
     - advantages of entertainment 
       e.g. relaxing , good pastime , knowledgeable etc.
     -the type / types I like best and the reasons.  ( 200 words )
πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰
Go to my blog page for the answer
Click the LinkπŸ‘‡
πŸ‘§πŸ‘§



OL 2016 Test 16 
Writing a speech 
(b) Write a speech you would make at the school Literary Association on "Internet : the advantages and disadvantages
Advantages: immense source of knowledge through search sites
                     e.g. Yahoo , Google 
                     easy access through computers , IT centers, mobile                             phones etc.
                     can get information at a click
Disadvantages: very often no one is responsible for quality of                                 information
                     can get addicted , moves away from the reading habit.
Click the link πŸ‘‡
OL 2016 Test 16
Write an essay on "Let's protect our forests"
You may include the following: 
-why forests are valuable to us.
 e.g. reduce the risk of land slides, habitat for wild life, regulate climate. 
-how forests are destroyed.
e.g. forest fires , encroachment ( clearing more land , agricultural expansion.
-What happens when forests are destroyed? 
e.g. climate changes , increases temperature , changing rainfall, 
 affect people , plants and animals
-what we should do to protect our forests
e.g. planting trees 


OL 2016 Test 16 
Dialogue
Complete the dialogue between Ruwani and Migara. They discuss their ideas on places of interest in Sri Lanka. 
Ruwani : I like visiting wild life sanctuaries.
Rajan : I know that you are interested in seeing animals in their                      natural habitat, but I like the ruined cities.
Ruwani: .................
    
OL 2017  Test 14 
(Informal letter- model answer) 
You plan to visit your uncle after the examination. Write him a letter informing him about it. Include the following. Use about 100 words. 
Include:
-how you feel about the trip.
-when you expect to visit him. 
- things you like to do.
-places you like to visit.  
Click here for more
OL 2017 Q:14 
Model Bar graph

The table given above represents where 125 students of our school like to study after their AL Examination. There are six countries mentioned in the table. The seventh row represents other countries. 
  According to the details given in the table the majority of the students like to study in America. It is 24%. An equal number of students like to study in India and Russia. More students like to study in England than in Japan. Other than the countries mentioned in the table only a few students like to study in other countries. 
  As a whole I can clearly find that the most preferred country among the students is America. The second most favourite country among them is England. 



O / L  2017 Question 16 
(a) Write an article to a Children's newspaper on the following topic. 
 'Watching TV: its advantages and disadvantages
    -a form of entertainment  -can get addicted 
    -useful for studies              -neglect studies and other work

πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰For Answer visit my blog pageπŸ‘‡
The page contains more than 30 essays for OL
(b) Write an essay on 
      'Our responsibility towards preventing dengue in our area' 
       include: 
    -keeping the environment clean
    -destroying the dengue breeding places
    -constant supervision  
     ( you may include other information also) 
        
   'Our responsibility towards preventing dengue in our area' 
Dengue is a deadly disease. It is spread by a mosquito. Dengue is a serious health issue in many countries. Hence, it is our responsibility to prevent dengue. 
Where do dengue mosquitoes breed? They breed in empty tins , cans , coconut-shells, tubs etc. When people dump them carelessly, water gets collected in them. Then these tiny water holes turn into breeding grounds for deadly dengue mosquitoes. Even a few drops of water is enough for mosquitoes to breed. ....... 
for full text refer to 
      Essays Book by Sajedra Kumara  
                                     πŸ‘±πŸ‘±πŸ‘±πŸ‘±
O L 2018 PAPER 
QUESTION No: 14
a) Your English teacher asked you to read some English story books after the exam. Write a letter to the manager of the Lake House Bookshop , Colombo asking for information about the books for children. 
Ask for the following information
a) the titles of the books available
b)Mode of payment
c) The prices and discounts if any 
d) Mode of delivery
πŸ‘ŠπŸ‘Š
32, Temple Rd,
Nugegoda.
20th July 2027

The manager,
Lake House Bookshop,
Colombo. 

Dear sir,
Requesting information about books for children
I am a grade 11 student. I want to purchase some  English story books for reading after the OL exam. 
I wish to know the titles of the books available in your bookshop along with their prices and discounts, if any. Please let me know the mode of payment and the mode of delivery, too. 
Please be kind enough to send me a favourable reply as early as possible. 
Thank you. 
Yours faithfully,
Jayantha
(Jayantha de Silva)
OL 2018
πŸ‘¦πŸ‘§b)  Describing Graphs
 Describing Graphs
Click hereπŸ‘† for answer


OL 2018 Question 16 
a)
Public property belongs to all of us
     πŸ‘‡ click here for the model answer or
          Refer to the Essays Book by Sajendra Kumara
     Model English Essays for OL
b) Sports as an important part of a student's life
πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ
The Elf of Western Academy, a web novel written by Ruchi Tarin. Simply click on the image below and enter the world of a web novel.
πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

c) The effects of using polythene. (speech)
OL: 2022(2023) 
   Test 16: Writing an article on 'Outdoor Activities'.
   Read the essay here πŸ‘‡  (CLICK) 
   
 
  

                              (Updated with 46 essays for OL)

      
πŸ‘ΈπŸ‘© 

 To be continued: 


Keep in touch

7 comments:

himashi said...

Good job.

SHINING TREE said...

thanks sir

Unknown said...

well done

Unknown said...

Super πŸ‘

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Sie πŸ’•πŸ™

Anonymous said...

You're a great one sirrr πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

Anonymous said...

Sir,you are one of the greatest English teachers I have met

The Red Rose: A Short Story ( Based on a True College Incident)

  The Red Rose: A (True) Short Story   ( Based on a true incident )    Daily News: August 3, 2011      "Sir, I found this rose on my de...